Our Physical Therapy staff has more than 100 years of combined experience and is committed to getting you back on the road to recovery. As a staple in our community for more than 50 years, Special Medical Services takes great pride in providing effective, results-oriented, evidence-based Physical Therapy services for our clients.
We offer comprehensive rehabilitation programs for people of all ages with varied problems. By offering an assortment of treatment options, Special Medical Services has the ability to successfully treat most Physical Therapy-related conditions from the geriatric patient to the top performing athlete. We create a tailored plan for each patient designed to improve motion, reduce pain and swelling, increase strength and endurance, restore function, and prevent re-injury.
We work closely with all area physicians but also regularly receive referrals from providers in Mason City, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Rochester, LaCrosse, Iowa City, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and other large medical facilities.
Our therapists communicate regularly with your physician to keep him/her up to date on your plan of treatment and level of progress.
At Special Medical Services, we offer the following Physical Therapy services:
- Orthopedic Problems, all types.
- Balance & Vestibular Disorders
- Sports Injury Rehab
- Work Injury Rehab
- Neurologic Rehab
- Joint Replacement Rehab
- All Post Surgical Rehab including post trauma
- Acute Hospital Inpatient rehab
- Home Physical Therapy services
- Shoulder Conditions - Rotator Cuff, Impingement Syndrome, Bursitis, Tendinitis
- Back & Neck Pain - Spinal Stenosis, Arthritis, Disc Problems, Whiplash, Headache, Muscle Spasm
- Leg & Foot Conditions - Sprains, Strains, Bursitis, Tendinitis, Fractures, Plantar Fasciitis
- Arm Conditions - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tennis Elbow, Fractures
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Fracture or Trauma
- Muscle Strains, Repetitive use injuries
- Neurological - Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, Polyneuropathy
- Generalized weakness due to chronic health issues
clinical internship affiliations
Special Medical Services offers a Wellness Program to all patients who have completed a formal physical therapy course of treatment or cardiac rehab program in our facility. This Wellness Program is designed for those clients who wish to continue their prescribed exercise program in an environment they are familiar with. Clients are allowed use of therapy space and equipment at designated times, three days a week, Monday through Friday. All participants are initially instructed in the proper use of the equipment and then continue on their own at their own pace. Special Medical Services staff is usually available for questions, if needed, but do not provide formal supervision.
The Wellness Program is not covered by insurance or Medicare. All participants will be responsible for making the required monthly cash payments.
Special Medical Services provides therapy services to the inpatients of Floyd County Medical Center. Our therapy staff works with the local physicians and other hospital professionals to ensure your rehab goals are met in a timely manner.
Each inpatient room is private, spacious, comfortable, modern, and has its own bathroom and shower.